Celebration of the Lord’s Passion (Good Friday, 2010)

Friday, April 2 2010


PsalmFather, into your hands (Geoffrey Boulton Smith)
Gospel AcclamationChristus factus est (Felice Anerio c. 1560-1614)
Veneration of the CrossThis is the wood of the cross (Missal tone)
The Reproaches (Brendan Curley)
Vinea mea electa (anon. Spanish, 16th century)
O come and mourn with me a while
Jesus, remember me (Taizé)
CommunionAve Verum Corpus (William Byrd, c. 1540-1623)
Soul of my Saviour

Our setting of the Reproaches was written (if I remember right) in seminary by Fr Brendan Curley, Administrator here at the cathedral just before the job title got changed to ‘Dean’. It mainly uses simple chant melodies, with people’s refrains for My people, what have I done to you? and Holy is God, holy and strong. It deserves to be more widely known.

Vinea mea electa was a happy find via the CPDL web site. We sang it as a brisk dance flanked by stately repetitions of the opening declamatory rebuke. Sung that way it positively fizzed with energy, the phrase ut me crucifigeres (that you should crucify me) leaping out at the listener in sudden aggrieved reproach.

But, as usual, the most prayerful musical moment in the whole liturgy was the whole congregation taking up the refrain Jesus, remember me in an unstoppable tide of sound. It was moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.