Palm Sunday (2011)

 
Entrance Hosanna Filio David (Plainchant & T.L. de Victoria, c. 1548-1611)
All Glory Laud and Honour
Psalm My God, my God (Liam Lawton)
Gospel Acclamation Praise to you, O Christ (James Walsh)
Preparation of the Gifts Crucifixus from the Mass in B Minor (J.S. Bach, 1685-1750)
Sanctus Mass XVII
Acclamation Missal Tone: Lord, by your cross
Agnus Dei Mass XVII & Missa Brevis (Antonio Lotti, c. 1667-1740)
Communion Father, if this cup (Stephen Dean)
Recessional My song is love unknown
 

There was, I thought, a striking affinity between the Bach Crucifixus and Stephen Dean’s atmospheric Communion song – both begin with chromatic harmonies over pulsing repeated bass notes (both in the key of E minor). I wondered whether the Bach was Stephen’s inspiration for writing the piece. They went together well, I felt.

We had more Bach from Anthony, our Communion processional song being followed by the chorale prelude Erbarm’ dich mein, o Herre Gott, BWV 721, and for a postlude after Mass, the final movement of the St Matthew Passion (Wir setzen uns mit Tränen nieder).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.