5th Sunday of Easter (Year A, 2011)

 
Entrance Christ is made the sure foundation
Gloria Mass for John Carroll (Michael Joncas)
Psalm Ps 32 (Alan Rees)
Gospel Acclamation Easter Gospel Acclamation (Brian Luckner)
Preparation of the Gifts The stone which the builders rejected (Bernadette Farrell)
Sanctus, Acclamation, Amen Spring Sanctus (mcb)
Agnus Dei Mass of Hope (Stephen Dean)
Communion I am the vine (John Bell) & Ps 80 (Laurence Bévenot)
Postcommunion Alleluia, Christus Surrexit (Felice Anerio, 1560-1614)
Recessional Battle is o’er
 

Today’s readings offered a number of key phrases that might have triggered musical selections. In the second reading (from 1 Peter) the reference to a royal priesthood, a consecrated nation suggested Christopher Walker’s Out of darkness, and the mention of living stones could have given us Bernadette Farrell’s Christ be our light. Instead we had two songs taking up the image of Christ the cornerstone, in another song by Farrell, and our opening hymn.

It was less easy to find anything suitable echoing the Gospel line I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. What did I miss?

4 comments:

  1. You missed the offering from Psallite which we used for our Communion procession. It's a nice tune and it sounded lovely with the descants added. The words are:

    I am the Way: follow me.
    I am the Truth: believe in me.
    I am the Life: dwell in me. Alleluia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in 1970s Westminster we had the remarkably saccharine "Jesus you are Lord" (L766), which does I suppose fit Gospel.

    As there were first communions we had neither psalm nor 2nd reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matt! It flitted through my mind, but in the end the text and music don't marry together well, so I kept looking. (Fond memories of the song from my teens though! Songs of the Spirit was of its time in the late 1970s, but perhaps a step in the right direction.)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.