6th Sunday of Easter (Year A, 2011)

 
Entrance This joyful Eastertide
Gloria Mass for John Carroll (Michael Joncas)
Psalm Ps 65 (Bill Tamblyn)
Gospel Acclamation Easter Gospel Acclamation (Brian Luckner)
Preparation of the Gifts Be still and know I am with you (Anne Conway)
Sanctus, Acclamation A, Amen Spring Sanctus (mcb)
Agnus Dei Mass of Hope (Stephen Dean)
Communion Unless a grain of wheat (Bernadette Farrell)
Postcommunion If ye love me (Thomas Tallis, c.1505-1585)
Recessional Come down, O love divine
 

Another week for readings rich in key phrases prompting musical choices. The Gospel reading alone gave us I will not leave you orphans and anybody who loves me will be loved by my Father, leading to the songs Be still and know I am with you and Unless a grain of wheat. The first reading from Acts told of the Apostles praying for the descent of the Holy Spirit, and in our final hymn, to Vaughan Williams's very fine tune, we made the same prayer our own.

Plus, of course, Tallis's simple masterpiece, reflecting the opening lines of the Gospel reading, and today’s Communion antiphon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.